LeAnn Rimes Album Review
LeAnn Rimes is a name known to many country fans after having released fourteen albums over twenty-two years. Her newest album Spitfire was released here in the UK as a download on 15th April and as a physical copy on 22nd April. It is certainly unusual to have an artist release their album to the UK before the US release (the album isn't released till 4th June in the US) which is possibly partly due to LeAnn's performance at last month's Country To Country Festival.
The line "The truth. In no particular order" on the back of the album promises that the album is going to be mainly autobiographical, with LeAnn writing 8 out of the 13 tracks. It is also nice to see LeAnn firmly back in country music after having released more pop sounding tracks in the past. The lead single Borrowed is a lovely song reminiscent of How Do I Live and addresses LeAnn's very public affair with actor Eddie Cibrian. The simple instrumentalisation really suits her voice and allows the vocals to shine through on what is a very heartfelt song.
A favourite song of mine is What Have I Done which features Alison Krauss and Dan Tyminski. In terms of the instrumentalisation it is similar to Borrowed however I ultimately prefer this song out of the two. LeAnn pours emotion into the song and carries listeners through the story being told in the lyrics.This is also one of the more remorseful songs on the album and helps to bring the collection together nicely.
Another favourite of mine is Gasoline And Matches. This track is completely different to the two previously mentioned songs in that it is a lot rockier and features a heavier instrumentalisation. The introduction of the male vocals on the song also adds to the appeal of the track and the overall rocky feel.
My least favourite song is You Ain't Right. Whilst the message behind the song is a clever one and I like the chorus, I do find that the verses just seem like there are too many lyrics to fit in to too short a space and this is frustrating.
I was unfortunately unable to see LeAnn at the Country To Country Festival so I was glad to hear her announce a short UK tour in September. You can find the full tour dates here and having heard various people's feedback from the Festival last month I'm sure it will be a great tour and something definitely worth checking out. I would also definitely recommend purchasing the album even if you are not necessarily a country music fan.
- 1) Spitfire - Darrell Brown, LeAnn Rimes, David Baerwald
- 2) What Have I Done (featuring Alison Krauss and Dan Tyminski) - Brown, Rimes, Baerwald
- 3) Gasoline And Matches (featuring Rob Thomas and Jeff Beck) - Buddy Miller, Julie Miller
- 4) Borrowed - Brown, Rimes, Dan Wilson
- 5) You Ain't Right - Liz Rose, Chris Stapleton, Morgane Hayes
- 6) I Do Now - Brown, Rimes, Wilson
- 7) Where I Stood - Missy Higgins
- 8) You've Ruined Me - Brown, Rimes, John Shanks
- 9) Bottle - Gary Burr, Christina Aldendifer
- 10) A Waste Is A Terrible Thing To Mind - Baerwald, Brown, Rimes
- 11) Just A Girl Like You - Brown, Nathan Chapman, Rimes
- 12) God Takes Care Of Your Kind - Brown, Rimes, Dean Sheremet
- 13) Who We Really Are - Brown, Sarah Buxton
Thank you to Kasey Stone for writing this review you can check out past album reviews on her blog.
About the author: Kasey Stone
I'm Kasey and I run a music blog which you can find at www.hittingalltherightnotes.com. I am a huge country music fan and like to support up-and-coming artists as well as my favourite more well known bands and singers. When I'm not listening to music you'll find me at as many gigs as I can get to. Country music is a great genre with some great singers and songwriters and the stories always draw me in.
Let us know what you think?
You might also like...
- Travelling Time And Grand Union Gig Guide present...
- The Crown Inn @ Monk Fryston
- Peckham Moonshine - 25 April
- Scotland Tours
- The Daily Country - Good Music Makes Us Happy
- MKDivided Country Music Club
- Born and raised in the BOONDOCKS
- Interview - SaraBeth
- Amaryllis - Out Now
- 23rd album Release April 2014
- Songwriters Competition
- Temptation Road - Announce 2nd single release
- Luke & Mel Seal Guitar Endorsement Deal
- Interview - The Ash Cooper Band
- C2C Country To Country 2014 - Day Two
- C2C Country To Country 2014
- Country to Country: Day 2
- Country to Country 2015
- C2C London, day 1
- Blown away at the CMA songwriters event!
- Sheryl Crow is set to perform four select headline dates across the country
- What an amazing few weeks it has been for country music in the UK!
- Holly Williams Gig Review
- LeAnn Rimes Album Review
- View all